After the dismissal of the Municipal Council on 23 May 1921, the Provincial Governor appointed a three-member committee, headed by Iurdan Pekarev and with members Alexander Hristov and Dr. Bochev, which was "to mange all the business, supply and fiscal activities of the municipality" till new elections were held.
Iurdan Pekarev is one of the founders of the organised agrarian movement in Bulgaria. In 1897 he started the publication of Nova Borba newspaper in Varna. He was elected member of the Executive Committee of the Agrarian Union, established in 1899.
His major priority was the food supplies to the citizens. He organised a meeting of representatives of the the state-owned and the private banks, companies, enterprises, etc., which unanimously voted for "The formation of a united fund of 12 million, half of which to be contributed by private banks and the other half of BNB and BAB. 300 wagons of grain to be bought with this amount, which was to stay in reserve and be used for the regulation of price of bread and to guarantee the food supply for the town." The municipal committee tried to solve the housing problem, promoting the "Bezdomnik" house building cooperative, set up in 1919. Municipal land was given to the cooperative with fixed and delayed payment for building new houses. The company had to pay back the land in 10 years, and to build the houses in 5 years. The electric lighting in the main streets and at the sea baths was improved, an iron fence surrounded the Seaside garden, the basic construction works of the summer theatre were completed. At the opening celebrations of the summer Theatre, Mayor Pekarev announced Varna "...a special and free resort town." /A ministerial decree sanctioned this declaration of the Municipality in 1925/. Iurdan Pekarev addressed the citizens of Varna: "... Come, support us to raise our minds, will, energy and desire our town to join the short list of Nice, Monte Carlo, the Riviera and so on."
The Municipal Committee prepared technically the new elections. Upon structuring the new Municipal Council in November 1921, its functions ended.